Sustainability and Beautification Award Programs
Our community has beautiful neighborhoods and attractive businesses with residents and business owners who care about our planet’s precious resources. The City of Signal Hill has two recognition programs, the Beautification Award and the Sustainability Award.
Details of the program criteria and how you can participate are provided below.
How can I make a nomination? Anyone may make a nomination by completing a Nomination Form. Please mail the form to City of Signal Hill, Attn: Community Development, 2175 Cherry Avenue, Signal Hill, CA 90755. You may also email the form to Community Development directly.
Beautification Award Program
The Planning Commission of the City of Signal Hill sponsors the Beautification Award program to show appreciation and acknowledge the residential and commercial property features and improvements that help to emphasize the City of Signal Hill as an attractive place to live, work and play.
The award is selected and granted quarterly at a meeting of the Planning Commission, and recognition of recipients may be included in the City Views newsletter, the City of Signal Hill website, City of Signal Hill social media, and other media.
Who is eligible? Any residence or business within the city limits of Signal Hill may be nominated. A presentation of the award is made at a Planning Commission meeting, and the award is presented in appreciation of recipients (whether or not they are able to attend), including a brief presentation about each property’s distinctive attributes and enhancements made to a property.
All are welcome to attend meetings of the Planning Commission. View the meeting schedule here.
Sustainability Award Program
The Sustainable City Committee’s Sustainability Award recognizes those who employ sustainable practices and have a positive environmental mentality. Past awards have been presented to organizations for accomplishments such as:
- Landscaping/irrigation upgrades, lighting upgrades, eliminating redundant lighting
- Reducing the amount of waste a school site produces annually by recycling, composting and donating uneaten food
- Offering green products, recycling practices, reusable bags for online order delivery and energy efficiency
- Reducing to almost zero waste and participating in cardboard, waste and food recycling programs
- Using state-of-the-art construction methods and energy saving materials that meet or exceed all current building codes
Meetings of the Sustainable City Committee are open to the public and all are welcome to attend. View the meeting schedule.