Council Member Larry Forester was elected to the Signal Hill City Council in 1998. He was re-elected to his sixth term in March 2015, serving as Mayor in 2001, 2006, 2011 and 2015. Larry retired in March 1995 from the Okonite Company as a Technical Sales Engineer Due to HIV/AIDS. Larry was diagnosed HIV positive in September 1985; and diagnosed with AIDS in June 1994. Larry has been living with AIDS due to successful “Triple Drug Therapy” and the Grace of God.
From 1995 to 2005, Larry served as Chair of the Board “Being Alive Long Beach,” a peer lead HIV advocacy group: providing education, support, and compassion for those living with HIV/AIDS. Being Alive is a 501(c)(3)Corporation formed in 1987.
From 1998 to 2005, Larry chaired the Board “Being Alive Housing” (formerly St. Francis House), transitional housing and a Residential Care Facility for people with HIV/AIDS. Since that time Larry has kept a focus on HIV/AIDS through the CARE Program at St. Mary’s Hospital and other HIV/AIDS fund raisers – Long Beach AIDS Walk, CARE, etc.
Larry has also served on the boards of the following organizations:
- 1994-1998 – AIDS Walk of Greater Long Beach.
- 1999-present – Board Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts.
- 2000-present – Steering Committee for Coalition for Practical Regulation (CPR) – an ad hoc group of 39 Los Angeles County cities.
- 2001-present – Board Member, Conservation Corps of Long Beach, Chair 2005 to 2009
- 2001-present – Advisory Board Long Beach Unified School District.
- 2002-present – Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG)Energy and Environment Sub-Committee and Water Quality Task Force.
- 2006-present Board Member Los Angeles County Division League of California Cities
- 2007-present – Gateway Cities Council of Governments, I–710 EIR/EIS Committee.
Education: BS Civil Engineering University of Notre Dame 1969
MS Ocean Engineering Catholic University of America 1971