Business Licenses


Business licenses are maintained by the Finance Department. We are transitioning to online business license management. To apply for a business license, please visit If you are experiencing difficulties, you can call 310-362-8095 to apply over the phone. You can also complete the application forms below and email them to HdL at

Business License Application - Inside Signal Hill (PDF)

Business License Application - Outside Signal Hill (PDF)

Business License Fees

The cost for a business license is based upon type of business. Please see basic license fees (PDF) for a listing of fees. Business licenses may be paid for by mail or online.

Business Tax Change

Changes to a business must be submitted to the City on a Business Tax Change Form (PDF) along with a $143 filing fee.

Home Occupations

The Home Occupation Information Form (PDF) explains regulations dealing with home occupations in Signal Hill. The form must be signed before a home occupation can be approved by the City.


View information about building inspections, which are provided by the Building Safety Division of the Community Development Department.

New Businesses

Read our New Business Checklist (PDF), which details the steps you must take when starting a new business in Signal Hill.

To apply for a re-sale permit please contact the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.

Zoning Information

Before applying for a license/permit or leasing/buying a building, check with the Planning Division to make sure the proposed business is consistent with the zoning of the property. To find out if a proposed business is in the appropriate zone and that the site meets the City’s off-street parking standards, please contact a planner in the Community Development Department at 562-989-7340. View information about zoning in Signal Hill.

  1. Business Licenses

    Phone: (310) 362-8095