Site #4: Heritage Square
In 2018, this site was proposed as the Heritage Square mixed-use residential and commercial development. The City’s General Plan designated this site as a future central business district, mixed-use development. In 2018, a conceptual plan for a mixed-use project, proposed as Heritage Square was reviewed at a community meeting. Public support was voiced for the mixed-use concept; however, the following concerns were registered:
- The height of the residential structure which was 3- and 4-story;
- The density/number of res. units was too great (203 units); and
- An ownership residential product was preferred over the proposed rental type
The current conceptual plans have been revised as follows:
- Reduced height with a residential mix of three-story townhomes within the site and two-story single-family residences along Rose Avenue;
- Reduced density for a total of 72 residential units consisting of 64 three-story townhomes and 8 two-story single-family residences; and
- Ownership townhomes versus rental apartments.
Timeline for Submittal of 6th Cycle Housing Element Update
Sites ID (location and size) Oct.30, 2020
- Refine per Orange Bluff site over Walnut Bluff site; and
- Refine per Creston Commons Phase I only and < units Nov. 30, 2020
ID Sites Constraints and Mitigation
- ID well abandonments/re-abandonments Jan. 30, 2021
- Prepare Phase I Feb. 30, 2021
- Prepare Phase II and HHRA reports as needed June 15, 2021
Draft 6th Cycle HEU (Depending on HCD docs.) Aug. 5, 2021
Survey Monkey and Outreach April 1, 2021
Final Project Description and NOP (30 day review) May 14, 2021
PC Public Workshop #1 for 6th Cycle ZOA/GPA/CEQA Scoping Mtg. May 18, 2020
PC Public Workshop #2 for 6th Cycle ZOA/GPA/CEQA Aug. 17, 2021
Draft Submittal to HCD (60 days to comment) Sept 15, 2021
PC Public Workshop #3 Sept. 21, 2021
Governor Signs AB 1398 (Extends submittal deadline to Oct. 2022) Sept. 28, 2021
Draft CEQA Doc. Circulation for Public Comment (45 day review) Sept. 30, 2021
CC Status Report Oct. 26, 2021
45- Day Review Period Ends Nov. 15, 2021
Receive Draft Comments from HCD Nov.15, 2021
Recirculate EIR (45 days) Jan. 20, 2022
CC Status Report Jan. 25, 2022
Post, Publish and Circulate Revised Draft HEU Mar. 7, 2022
End of 45 day EIR Recirculation Mar. 7, 2022
Submit Revised Draft HEU to HCD (*60 days to comment) Mar. 15, 2022
Comment preview conference with HCD staff April 29, 2022
Received 2nd HCD Comment Letter May 12, 2022
PC PH for 6th Cycle ZOA/GPA/CEQA/HEU May 17, 2022
Post, Publish and Circulate 2nd Revised Draft HEU June 13, 2022
Submit 2nd Revised Draft HEU to HCD (*60 days to comment) June 20, 2022
PC PH for 6th Cycle ZOA/GPA/CEQA/HEU June 21, 2022
CC Introduction of 6th Cycle ZOA/GPA/CEQA/
HEU July 12, 2022
CC 2nd Reading and Approval 6th Cycle ZOA/GPA/CEQA/
HEU July 26, 2022
End of HCD 60 Day Comment Period August 19, 2022 (or earlier)
CC Approval of 6th Cycle HEU August 23 or September 13, 2022
HCD Deadline for ZOAs, Adoption, & Certification (AB 1398) Oct. 15, 2022
Gateway Center North
- 950 E. 33rd Street and Southwest corner of California Ave. and E. 33rd Street
- Remodel of the existing Target Store
- Three added commercial pads totaling 23,500 square feet
- New self-storage facility
- Developer: Target Corporate and Signal Hill Petroleum
Status: On April 20, 2021, the Planning Commission approved SPDR 21-03 and SPDR 21-04 (see the Agenda here). On May 11, 2021, the City Council approved ZOA 21-01, CUP 21-01, CUP 21-02, the MND, and the Development Agreement (see the Agenda here).
Appendix A (PDF)
Appendix B (PDF)
Appendix C (PDF)
Appendix D (PDF)
2599 E. Pacific Coast Highway
- 7 attached and detached single-family homes
- Applicant: Thomas Jacobs, Agent
Status: The Planning Commission has recommended that the project proceed to a public hearing following completion of reports facilitating an environmental (CEQA) determination.
2750 E. 20th Street
- Proposal to demolish an existing one-story single-family dwelling and construct three detached single-family homes with a two-car garage per unit and three surface parking spaces
- Applicant: Narshima Reddy
Status: The View Analysis has been completed. A Planning Commission public workshop was held in March 2020, and the Commission voted unanimously to bring the item to a future public hearing. The public hearing is scheduled for the September 20 Planning Commission meeting.
Signal Hill Business Park
- A proposed nine-building industrial development, approximately 150,000 square feet
- Located on two sites totaling nine acres on vacant property the east and west side of Walnut Avenue, south of E. Hill Street
- The project includes vacation of a portion of 21st Street, west of Walnut Avenue
- Applicant: Signal Hill XC, LLC.
Status: On October 19, 2021, the Planning Commission approved Site Plan and Design Review 21-07, Tentative Tract Map 80302, and found that a vacation of a portion of E. 21st Street in conformance with the City's General Plan. On November 9, 2021, the City Council adopted the second RMND, GPA 21-01, ZOA 21-02, and a Resolution of Intent to Vacate.
Appendices and Reference Materials are available from the California Office of Planning and Research CEQANet Portal at this link: https://ceqanet.opr.ca.gov/2020029097/2
1450 E. 27th St. and 2655 Walnut Avenue
- A proposed two-building industrial development, totaling 24,000 square feet
- One industrial building and one flex space suitable for retail, office, or industrial uses
Developer: 2H Property 3060, LLC
Status: The Planning Commission held a public workshop on November 17, 2020 to review the project. The project will be scheduled for a future public hearing.
2550 Orange Avenue
- The site was the Majestic Driving Range property which was sold to a new owner in 2018
- The new property owner has shared conceptual plans for an industrial development on the site
- No formal project submittal has been received
Developer: CenterPoint Properties
Status: The new property owner is prepping the site for future sale and development. The site contains multiple abandoned and active oil wells. In 2019, the abandoned wells were located, mapped, and tested for methane emission. Current activity includes demolition of the raised tee box, and removal of obsolete piping and oil field related debris.
2250 Ohio Avenue
- Proposal to construct a two-story duplex in Planning Area 2 of the Hilltop Area Specific Plan (SP-2) zoning district. Each unit has three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, one half-bathroom, and a two-car garage with private driveway spaces in front of the garage.
Applicant: Salvador Cerda and Khanh Nguyen
Status: The second Planning Commission public workshop was held on January 19, 2021. After receiving public comments and feedback, the Commission voted unanimously to continue the project to a public hearing. Prior to a public hearing, the City must make its environmental determination under the California Environmental Quality Act (or CEQA). The next step is for the applicants to prepare and submit the required environmental reports for the City to review as part of their CEQA determination. The date of the public hearing is TBD.
1900 Temple Avenue
- Site Plan and Design Review 21-08 to construct a new custom one-story 2,343 square-foot single-family dwelling with three bedrooms, a den, two-and-a-half bathrooms, an attached 628 square-foot two-car garage, and a detached 725 square-foot two-car garage with attached storage, on a vacant 8,165 square-foot lot at 1900 Temple Avenue in the Residential Low Density (RL) zoning district.
Applicant: Roger Vititow Family Trust
Status: The Planning Commission public workshop was held on November 16, 2021. There were no public comments and the Commission directed staff to continue working with the applicant to bring the project forward to a public hearing with a 4-0 vote (one recusal due to residing within the 500-foot conflict-of-interest radius). The Planning Commission public hearing is scheduled for April 19, 2022. A Mitigated Negative Declaration is available for public comment: IS MND and MMRP for 1900 Temple Avenue (PDF)
American University of Health Sciences
- Zoning Ordinance Amendment to reclassify the site from Commercial Office (CO) to the American University of Health Sciences (AUHS) and the American University Research Academy (AURA) Specific Plan (SP-25)
Applicant: American University of Health Sciences
Status: A Planning Commission public workshop was held on June 21, 2022. A Planning Commission public hearing is scheduled for August 16, 2022. A Notice of Intent to Adopt an IS/ND has been posted. Read the Draft Initial Study and Negative Declaration, with the Appendices.