How do I properly dispose of fats, oils and grease?

Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) can cause significant damage to the sewer system. Sewer overflows and backups due to FOG buildup creates health hazards, threatens our water resources, and can be costly to repair. The City of Signal Hill aims to improve water quality and help eliminate sewer overflows and backups by eliminating the amount of FOG that enters the sanitary sewer system. Residents are encouraged to properly dispose of FOG.

  • Do not pour waste oil and cooking residue directly down the sink or garbage disposal.
  • Pour FOG in a leak-proof and covered container. Dispose of it in the trash or drop it off at a FOG collection center such as EDCO.
  • Limit garbage disposal use and dispose of remaining food scraps in the compost bin or trash.
  • Wipe off remaining grease and scrape food scraps from dishes and pots with a paper towel prior to washing.

For more information, see our Guide to FOG (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. Where can I recycle my Household Hazardous and Electronic Waste?
2. My sewer lateral is backing up. Who is responsible to clear it?
3. How do I request service or report a problem to Public Works?
4. What is the holiday schedule for trash collection?
5. How do I properly dispose of fats, oils and grease?
6. When do I need an Oversize Load Transportation Permit?