Code Enforcement ensures that Signal Hill's properties meet the standards of the Signal Hill Municipal Code. The goal of Code Enforcement is to enhance quality of life by encouraging the proper maintenance of commercial and residential property.
For concerns regarding sidewalks, parkways or streets, please contact the Public Works Department at 562-989-7250.
Property owners are responsible for keeping their property clean, attractive, and well-maintained and everyone must do their part. By walking around your property regularly, it is easy to ensure compliance and address common issues before they become violations.
Common code violations include:
- Erecting free-standing canopies in residential zones for more than 72 hours.
- Over-filling trash containers or dumpsters in residential and commercial zones.
- Overgrown weeds, trash, or debris in the front or side yards in residential and commercial zones.
- Parking boats, vehicles, trailers, or campers in the front or side yard instead of on the driveway in residential zones.
- Storing inoperative vehicles on the property where they are visible from the street or alley in residential and commercial zones.
- Walls or fences that exceed height limits, are falling down, need paint, or have broken parts or holes in residential and commercial zones.
- Initiating construction without the correct permits (for example, adding a room in a residential zone).
- Owning rundown buildings with peeling paint, graffiti, broken windows or doors, crumbling steps, or a deteriorated roof in residential and commercial zones.
- Oil well maintenance, noise or odor issues. Read on for more information.