Signal Hill Public Library
Signal Hill Public Library Closed Through April 19, 2020 to Address COVID-19
Effective Sunday, March 15, 2020, the Signal Hill Public Library will be closed through April 19, 2020. All programs, meeting room use, and facility rentals have been suspended through April 30, 2020.
- During this time, due dates for borrowed materials will be automatically extended, no late fines will be assessed, and patrons can return materials when the library reopens.
- Library staff will be available to provide assistance through telephone reference at 562-989-7323, Monday – Friday from 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Text-a-Librarian will continue to be available at 562-284-2766, Monday – Friday from 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- We encourage our library patrons to make use of the Library’s digital resources, available 24/7. For assistance in accessing digital resources, please contact Library staff via telephone reference at 562-989-7323, Monday – Friday from 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The health and safety of our residents and employees is our highest priority. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your continued support and understanding. We are actively monitoring information about COVID-19 so that we can respond as needed as the situation develops. We encourage you to use trusted resources for information on COVID-19. Visit http://cityofsignalhill.org/coronavirus for the latest information and guidelines on how to stay healthy. You can also dial 2-1-1 for information directly from the L.A. County Public Health Department.
The Signal Hill Public Library is a state-of-the-art, 14,000 square foot facility that opened in August 2019.
It offers plenty of space for reading, research, technology access, community gatherings, and more. Amenities include a large Community Room for library and other events, a dynamic children’s area featuring Daisy the Dinosaur and a mural memorializing Signal Hill's history, a wired Learning Lab for technology courses and other academic endeavors, private study rooms, a teen gathering space, a History Room, the Zinnia outdoor courtyard; and Signal Point Terrace, a reservable upper deck terrace with sweeping views of the coastline. We invite you to see this incredible community asset for yourself! Floor Plan (PDF)
Programs and Special Events
The Signal Hill Public Library offers a variety of dynamic events, programs and workshops throughout the year. Most are free of charge. Please see the links to the left to learn what we are currently offering and if there are upcoming events that may interest you and your family. We are always updating these pages, so please check back!
Video: Library Grand Opening
To download an e-Book, use your library card and pin to sign on to Overdrive.
No log-in needed to access theses five Tumblebooks resources: Tumble Math, TeenBookCloud, AudioBookCloud, RomanceBookCloud, and TumbleBooks. If you need assistance, please contact the library at 562-989-7323.
Wireless printing is available for all Signal Hill Library cardholders. Send a print job from your laptop or desktop computer at home, or from your mobile device while visiting one of our locations. Visit our Wireless Printing page for instructions.
Patrons may request books and other materials that are not available at the Signal Hill Library through our Inter-Library Loan Program. Patrons receive two FREE requests per month; any additional requests per month are $2.00 each.
Library Services for People with Print Disabilities
California’s Library Services for People with Print Disabilities, in association with the Library of Congress, provides free Braille and audio books, magazines and playback equipment to all eligible Californians unable to read standard print. Follow the California’s Library Services link to find your local braille and talking book library and sign up for free library service.
Public Access Computers
Patrons wishing to utilize the computers must possess a valid library card.
- Reservations are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Flash drives are available for use.
- Adults ages 18 and over may utilize a computer for one hour per day with limited additional time if no other patrons are waiting.
- Youth ages 10 to 17 may have internet access with signed permission from a parent or legal guardian.
- Children ages 4 to 9 may have access to pre-programmed educational games. Children under 4 must have a parent with them at all times while using the computer.
- Computer Print-out Fees: $0.15 per page in black-and-white.
The library offers proctored exams by appointment for a fee of $25.00 per exam either in print form or online. Please email us to make an appointment.
Bricks on the Hilltop
Be a part of Signal Hill history by purchasing a brick to be engraved in Hilltop Park. Order forms (PDF) are now available.
Signal Hill Public Library
1800 E. Hill St.
Signal Hill, CA 90755
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 12 p.m. - 8 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed Sundays and City Holidays
Text-a-librarian at 562-284-2766 to renew books, check the status of your account, or ask a reference question!